10.13.2009

60 Posts 60 Days: Day 37

The apple crisp is in the oven. Locally grown Johnathan apples, sugar spices, oat topping. Mike and Clare made ice cream. It was a rainy, blustery fall day around here. We had our chimney swept and discussed the logistics of installing our wood stove insert. Spendy for sure but probably worth it. Especially over the course of a couple winters.

I had a doctor's appointment this morning. The 36 week check-up. Plus the Demerol shot. I couldn't remember a single question I was going to ask because my mind was so wrapped around the stabbing pain in my left eye and temple and the huge blind spot that blocked half my vision. Then I came home (Mike drove) and literally passed out on the futon for several hours. For the half hour or so that I was coherent between the shot and falling asleep I kept thinking to myself, "Damn, drugs are good." It was a lovely warm and fuzzy, pain-free feeling. I'm not even sure that most of it wasn't just the glory of not having the migraine anymore. I've had mixed luck with the Demerol before, sometimes getting little or no relief, but after expressing this concern to my doctor she has increased my dosage and it works like a dream. I know I'll be dealing with that sore injection site, probably at least until after the baby is born if not longer, but a sore hip seems so much less troublesome than a blazing headache, loss of vision, nausea, and super irritability.

It seems as though the baby has dropped since I measured about a week and a half behind what I should be. The pressure in my pelvis and the relative relief in my ability to inhale a decent amount of oxygen are also good indicators. He's a good boy, still in the head-down position. Hopefully now that he has dropped he will stay engaged and there will be no surprise right-side-up baby at any future doctor visits.

No comments: